Table of Content
‘’Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments.’’ With time, this old cliché has lost its essence and significance.
Today, as soon as a person encounters some health illness, she immediately opts for a medication.
It may prove beneficial for the short term, but a different approach is needed for a long term perspective.
A study conducted by, AIIMS shows that 20.25% of Indian women of childbearing age (ages 15 to 44) are suffering from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).
Fight PCOS Diet
- Fibre keeps you full, improves health, and aids weight loss. Good sources include barley, oatmeal, beans, nuts, and fruits.
- Broccoli, cauliflower, beans, almond, sweet potatoes, pumpkin are also adorned with good fibre content.
- Green leafy vegetables
These are particularly recommended for a woman struggling to lose their weight. They are rich in iron, potassium, calcium and Vitamin K, C, E, and B.
- Colored vegetables
It contains strong antioxidants and reduces oxidative stress in PCOS sufferers.
Anti-inflammation food and spices
- The anti-inflammatory diet carries plenty of prebiotics, fibre, antioxidants, and omega-3s, which means a diet rich in vegetables, whole fruit, whole grains, legumes.
- Tomatoes, spinach, almond and walnuts, olive oil, Turmeric, cinnamon also serve the purpose.
Some may hesitate to consume them due to the fructose content; however, fruits have several minerals, poly nutrients, and fibre. Consume fruits with a low glycemic index like guava, Peas, strawberries, blueberries, kiwifruit, apples, oranges and watermelons.
To most people, the word ‘fat’ does not seem to go hand in hand with PCOS, but you need to eat healthy fats that provide essential fatty acids. It includes seeds, olive oil, avocado, and nuts.
Low GI Diet:
The glycemic index(GI) measures how quickly a food raises blood sugar levels. So a low GI diet helps prevent insulin spikes by raising blood sugar levels slowly. The low-GI diet consists of eating whole lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats.
Moreover, the advantages of consuming a low GI diet are clinically backed by lots of studies and surveys.
Say goodbye to (or avoid) :
- Sugar and involved snacks/drinks such as soda or juice.
- Food that is high in refined carbohydrates such as White bread and muffins
- avoid high consumption of dairy products, as they tend to cause an increase in testosterone level
- caffeine in general affects fertility in women
- any stuff made with white flour
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, and peas
- Sugary foods like cookies, cakes, and candy.
Avoid packaged, processed food, junk,/fast food.
- Have lots of fluid and low calorie(Chana, fruits, sprouts) snacking on the whole day.
- One can balance out the imbalance of hormones in PCOS by making breakfast the biggest meal and dinner the smallest. A study found that women following this diet plan ovulated 30% more than the women following a plan just opposite.
- A good diet plan alone can not serve the whole purpose. Also, you need to have an active and exuberant body. As experimented, just three hours of exercise per week improves insulin sensitivity and reduces belly fat in women with PCOS.
- Reducing your carb intake may improve the hormonal imbalance linked to PCOS and boost weight loss in women with PCOS.
- Increased levels of stress and anxiety, also add to hormonal imbalance. So try not to panic and peacefully go through the diet plan or medication.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a situation that affects the hormone level of a woman. The women with PCOS produce a higher amount of male hormones. The hormonal imbalance causes them to skip menstrual periods and makes it harder for them in getting pregnant.
Some of the observable symptoms are:
- Irregular or skipped periods
- Male pattern baldness
- Excessive hair growth on the skin
- Abnormal weight gain
- Infrequent headaches
- Dark patches on the skin
The specific cause of PCOS is not known and quite not possible to detect. But usually, they are seen as linked to factors such as genes, insulin resistance, inflammation, diet, lifestyle, and environment.
Obesity is a major cause of insulin. Obesity and insulin resistance both can increase your risk for two types of diabetes.
It indicates that if the syndrome is not well- treated; it may lead to fatal problems like heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
There is no definite cure or medication for PCOS. Yet switching to a healthy lifestyle that is based on a better diet and regular exercise can help you fight the disorder by manifolds.
So, no need to panic, for we serve you with your fight PCOS Diet, keeping in mind the Indian vegetarian culture.
Main features of concern are:
- Imbalance in hormonal level
- Production of a high level of male hormone(androgen), causing women to skip a menstrual period and troubling them in getting pregnant
- Formation of cysts( fluid-filled sacs containing immature eggs) in ovaries.
A Final Say
Your health is in your hands.
Set goals to be more active most days of the week. Keep track of your health. Stick to the diet plan with patience; consult or visit a doctor regularly.
Schedule an appointment with the best fertility specialist in Noida at Zeeva Clinic – leading fertility clinic and the best IVF centre in Noida.
And more than anything, be happy as much as you can because that is all you have, in your hand.
No disease or disorder can decide whether you live happily or in turmoil. It’s your attitude towards life that decides the way you live.