Fallopian tube blockage or tubal blockage is one of the most common infertility causes affecting the fertilization process, making it difficult for women to get pregnant.
The fallopian tubes are a part of the female reproductive system and are where the sperm and egg meet for fertilization. Once the egg is fertilized, it travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus for implantation.
However, an obstruction in both or either of the two thin muscular tubes can cause several problems.
There are various causes for tubal blockage including:
- Endometriosis – This is when the uterus lining grows in other organs
- Pelvic infection
- Sexually transmitted infections like gonorrhea or chlamydia
- Previous surgery resulting in adhesions or scarring
- Abnormal growths like fibroids
Although you are not likely to experience visible symptoms of fallopian tube blockage, it can be diagnosed with different imaging tests such as X-rays or an ultrasound. Women will more likely realise there is a blockage when they have trouble conceiving.
There are lots of natural remedies to try before considering surgery to unblock fallopian tubes.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol: Tobacco use and alcohol consumption are known to cause several serious health conditions and have proven to cause infertility. Start taking steps to eliminate these bad habits to improve your overall health.
- Boost immunity with Vitamin C: Vitamin C is essential to helping our bodies absorb iron from the food we eat. Tubal blockages caused by infection can naturally unblock by increasing your intake of Vitamin C with different citrus foods like oranges and lemons or with vegetables like broccoli and green peppers.
- Manage stress with meditation: Stress is a leading cause of many health problems and is a major cause of infertility. Meditation is an effective technique to help your body to regulate hormone levels and relax your mind to de-stress.
- Benefit from the natural properties of garlic: Garlic not only adds flavor to our meals but also has amazing antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties to boost immunity. It can also help improve blood circulation and reduce scarring.
- Herbs are packed with healing agents: Cinnamon and turmeric, similar to garlic, are great additions to meals to increase blood circulation, reduce inflammation, prevent scarring and blockage. You can add these herbs to your tea and daily diet to experience the benefits.
- Practice yoga to promote healing: Yoga involves many stretching exercises and poses that gently massage our internal organs to increase healing. Focus on yoga poses that concentrate on the abdomen and lower back to help unblock your fallopian tubes.
- Activated charcoal eliminates toxins: Activated charcoal has become increasingly popular to absorb and cleanse your body of toxins naturally.
- Increase blood flow with a fertility massage: Massaging is a useful technique used to increase blood flow to affected areas to promote faster healing. You can learn how to perform abdominal massages or consult a specialist to assist you.
- Castor oil can stimulate the lymphatic system: Castor oil is excellent for the treatment of ailments to increase blood and lymph circulation. Try massaging castor oil on the lower abdomen to experience the benefits.
- Acupressure to stimulate pressure points: There are different pressure points in our bodies, and by applying pressure, it can promote healing with increased blood flow or reducing inflammation.
- Systemic enzyme therapy for cleansing: Systemic enzyme treatment uses natural enzymes produced in our bodies to clear excess scar tissue, cleanse the blood, increase circulation, and boost immunity. It is considered an effective treatment for infertility.
- Increase antioxidant intake to balance hormones: Consider an antioxidant-rich diet to eliminate the harmful effects of an unhealthy diet. Foods loaded with antioxidants include colorful fruits and vegetables, coconut oil, and nuts.
- Improve your diet with a ‘fertility cleanse’: A one-month‘ fertility cleanse’ can help your body to naturally detox and eliminate harmful toxins and metals from important organs like the liver and kidneys. Making healthier diet choices improves your body’s ability to absorb nutrients to improve your overall health.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits of ginger: Ginger is a common ingredient made up of gingerol and can eliminate toxins and reduce inflammation. Try drinking ginger root tea a few times a day.
The points mentioned above are a few natural therapies that are worth a try as they can have some probable benefits. The next step otherwise would be considering surgery to help.
In cases where unblocking fallopian tubes can not be achieved naturally or if you do not see any improvements, you can consult your doctor and consider the following medical procedures.
- Tubal cannulation: This treatment opens up the fallopian tubes using a balloon to help remove the blockage using a catheter.
- Tubal reanastomosis: This procedure involves removing the damaged portion of the fallopian tube and joining the ends of the tube together. This can be performed with a laparotomy or laparoscopy.
- Salpingectomy: A salpingectomy is done to improve IVF success by removing a part of the fallopian tube, which contains fluid build-up known as hydrosalpinx.
- Fimbrioplasty: This is considered a reconstructive procedure that corrects the fringed edges of the fallopian tube damaged by scar tissue.
- IVF – IVF is an alternative for people who do not wish to undergo surgery and for couples with multiple factors such as a tubal blockage along with advanced age or husband’s with semen abnormalities etc in which case IVF is a better alternative to laparoscopy as it would bypass several steps including the need for a functioning fallopian tube.
Fallopian tube blockage, although one of the most common causes of infertility, can be treated both naturally and medically depending on the type of blockage and location.
You can try the tips mentioned above, although results vary from person to person, you may find something that works for you. You can try any of the above before considering IVF treatment or any other medical procedure.
Infertility can be a challenging condition, and understanding the right treatment choice for you can be difficult.
However, it is essential to consult your doctor to find out everything you need to know about your infertility problem, possible treatment options, and how to improve your pregnancy chances.